We are living in The Apostolic Age of God’s Kingdom on earth. How do I know? I see God releasing thousands of apostolic leaders throughout the world! Why are so many apostolic leaders needed? Because they are specifically called and anointed to lead the Church to war against the anti-Christ spirits that are trying to dominate the world. The apostolic age requires apostolic ways for the Church to succeed.
For too long, the Church has basically tried to appease the enemy… and appeasement with the enemy never works. God doesn’t appease evil. He is in a total war for absolute control. And He has supplied the weapons to win this mighty warfare: the spiritual gifts, the Ephesian 4:11 ascension gifts, and dunamis power from of the Holy Spirit. He is pouring out strategies and provision to accomplish His will on earth.
Our commanding general charges us to “war a good warfare” (1 Timothy 1:18). “For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God …” (2 Corinthians 10: 3-4). We are charged to subdue and take dominion to establish the Kingdom of God on earth.
Here are some of the characteristics of today’s apostolic leaders and what is required to win the war:
1. Two eyes for two visions: One for raising up the church… the other for taking cities and nations.
2. Divine strategies: God gives apostles divine strategies to lead in battle, to change direction, to establish righteousness and displace the works of the enemy.
3. Focus on the assignment: God has designed each of us for a special task. He will anoint, equip and provide for us in His designated area of warfare. Don’t get diverted.
4. Courage: When you face opposition you need a heart for total victory - no matter what the cost. “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go” (Joshua 1:9).
5. Committed relationships: Draw close to those who are committed to your success. Know who God has called you to fight with and stay connected. God provides mentors and peers who will pray with you, encourage you, hold you accountable and share the wisdom essential for ultimate victory.
6. Humility: Self-centeredness must die in apostolic leaders. We are called to war As One! “Do nothing out of selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves” (Philippians 2:3). “Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering;“ (Colossians 2:23).
7. Love: Love is a weapon of warfare.You need a passion for your assignment; it motivates you and draws people to you. “If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal…Three things will last forever—faith, hope, and love—and the greatest of these is love” (1 Corinthians 13: 1, 13).
These powerful weapons will arm and protect today’s apostolic leaders as they direct the armies of God against all unrighteousness and establish the Kingdom of God on earth; tearing down everything that exults itself against the knowledge of God. Go forth apostolic warriors to your battle stations!
See you on the battlefield!
John P. Kelly, ICAL International Convenor